Ever since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement, a growing range of solutions-oriented initiatives have sought to provide support to youth-led innovations (including in business, charity, and education), with the simultaneous objectives of mobilizing youth skills in support of global problem-solving and addressing the challenges young people face in creating and scaling-up their projects.
Some of these initiatives, including the Youth Solutions Report platform developed by SDSN Youth, will be featured in the event as best practices in the field. The respective delegates will discuss the landscape of youth-led innovation, with emphasis on climate mitigation and adaptation, and will illustrate their recent activities focusing on youth solutions.
More importantly, however, the session will discuss the difficulties young innovators face in implementing their projects, including access to capital, access to knowledge, and lack of visibility, and the opportunities for overcoming these challenges with the help of investors, experts, policy-makers and other supporters from different sectors (government, private sector, public-private partnerships, NGOs).
The event is co-organized by SDSN Youth in partnership with CliMates, Student Energy and Convergences. It will be held in English and will be open to all COP23-accredited participants.
- Where: Meeting Room 2, Bonn Zone, COP23
- When: 9 November 2017, 16.45 to 6.15
- Selina Wrighter (Senior Advisor to the Executive Director, Green Climate Fund)
- Margaret-Ann Splawn (Executive Director, Climate Markets and Investment Association)
- Laura Hildebrandt (Policy Specialist, UN SDG Action Campaign)
- Dario Piselli (Project Leader for Solutions Initiatives, SDSN Youth)
- Meredith Adler (Executive Director, Student Energy)
- Viktor Josa (Europe Regional Officer for COP in My City, Climates)
- Luca Bucken (Director for Expansion and Partnerships, Liter of Light)
- Josephine Raynauld (COP in My City Coordinator, CliMates)
- Abiy Shimelis (Partnership Manager, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network)
- Evelyn Araripe (Member, Climate Co-Lab)
For more information: SDSN Youth (firstname.lastname@example.org), Student Energy (email@example.com), CliMates (firstname.lastname@example.org), Convergences (email@example.com).
Media Kit for Journalists available here.